Ecommerce statistics for 2016
In 2015 we published our first series of ecommerce statistics. Click here for 2014 stats.
The next year, in 2016 we’ve published the ones for 2015. Now it’s time for 2016 statistics related to ecommerce industry.
Please feel free to share this data or use it in your presentations, with a link back to our page.
Various things about online shopping in 2016
All the following statistics are based on:
- Time period: Jan 01 – Dec 31 2016
- 137.1M visitors of ecommerce sites across US, EU and Asia
- 43M purchases
Time of purchase
- 29% of sales occur after 18.30PM while another 29% from 8 to 11AM. The rest are distributed throughout the day.
We can see here an increase in the morning purchases. This might be because of the mobile usage increase (people are buying on their commute to work).
Average order values and conversion rate
- Average order value around the world:
- United States – $117 (increase)
- Europe – $101 (decrease)
- Asia – $71 (increase)
- Highest conversion rate per industry
Travel kept the first place in conversion rate. Fashion became second place, before electronics.
Classic blast emails (newsletters) statistics
- Average Open Rate: 12.7% (up 1.5)
- Average Click Rate: 6.8% (up 0.6)
- Average Conversion Rate: 1.27% (down 0.1)
- Average share rate: — we won’t continue adding this information
Transactional email statistics
Transactional emails are sent automatically based on user behaviour. Click here to learn more
- Average Open Rate: 39.3% (up 1.6)
- Average Click Rate: 31.0% (down 2.1)
- Average Conversion Rate: 8.2% (very similar)
Segmented newsletters stats
Sent to relevant groups of subscribers, based on interests, profile, brand affinity. Also includes product recommendations inside email.
- Average Open Rate: 14.1% (down 0.07), very very close
- Average Click Rate: 9.5% (down 1.3)
- Average Conversion Rate: 4%
Ecommerce business statistics
Those statistics are general across all industries, geographic areas.
- Conversion Rate: 1.88% (down 0.01)
- Days to purchase: 1.8days (up 0.2 days)
- Best converting channels: PPC, Email, Search (retargeting was one of the reasons)
- Abandoned carts: 72.4% (up 1.2)
- Recovered carts from transactional emails: 19.6% (down 2.4%)
Onsite Product Recommendations stats
Those stats compare to the average of users who did not interact with product recommendations:
- Visitors influenced by reccs: 69.9% (down 2.5) meaning people who clicked one of our recommendations and purchased the same product afterwards
- Time on site: 2 minutes 45 seconds
- Average order value: $130.5 +5.7% (down 0.5)
- Conversion rate: +10.7% (down 0.4)
Want to know another stat? Leave a comment below and we might share it!
Check the most important online shopping stats for 2017 stats.